Since the onset of the pandemic in March 2020, the CFA has worked tirelessly to help make governments understand the needs of franchised businesses and to ensure that the programs they rolled out to help businesses worked for Canadian franchises.
CFA’s Advocacy Work:
Kept CFA members informed throughout COVID-19. The CFA established daily COVID-19 updates to ensure members regularly received the latest and most relevant information about government programs and more.
Held key meetings with government representatives across Canada. The CFA participated in more than 350 calls and virtual meetings with elected officials, political staff, and public servants.
Continued to provide vital education to government about the franchise business model and franchising’s positive contributions to the Canadian economy.
Raised awareness about franchising in Ontario. Held the first-ever Virtual Franchise Awareness Days in November, which included 24 virtual meetings with Conservative, Liberal, and NDP MPPs.
Helped franchise businesses pay wages. The CFA lobbied government to put in place a wage subsidy to help franchised businesses at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. We then lobbied for the 75 per cent Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) and successfully got it extended to June 2021.
Helped franchise businesses pay their rent. The CFA lobbied government to create the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) program. We also lobbied government to fix problems that arose from the program, which resulted in the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS).
Helped franchise businesses get access to capital. The CFA actively pushed for the creation of a business loan program, which culminated in the Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA). We also lobbied for a top-up loan and for those operating with personal accounts to be included in the program.
CFA’s Advocacy First
- Launched the FIRST series of COVID-19 updates to keep members informed during the pandemic
- Held the FIRST Virtual Franchise Awareness Days targeting Ontario
- Held the FIRST advocacy-focused webinars to educate members about new government programs
- Successfully lobbied government to allow franchise fees to be included in Canadian Small Business Financing Program loans for the FIRST time
- One of the FIRST organizations to work with federal government to develop COVID-19 wage and rent subsidies for businesses
- Held the FIRST webinars featuring government representative participants to educate about the CERS and CEWS programs